Is it possible to recycle used hearing aids? Whether they belonged to a departed relative or you decided to upgrade your hearing aids to something fancier like a cochlear implant, the answer is the same: donate your used hearing aids instead of throwing them away.
There are lots of people dealing with loss of hearing who could use a donated hearing aid, and several institutions out there that collect and circulate those hearing aids to the people in need. Keep reading to discover how and why to donate used hearing aids.
Why It’s Worthwhile to Contribute a Pre-owned Hearing Aid
- Of the total population, around 14% have some kind of hearing loss
- 91% of adults suffering from loss of hearing are above the age of 50
- There is evidence of hearing loss in 15% of school aged children
- Nearly 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually make use of hearing aids
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Of those people over 70 who require hearing aids, less than 30% percent have ever had them
This is very worrisome. Because health issues like mental decline, increased risk of falling, and depression have been linked to untreated loss of hearing. In fact, new studies come out all the time showing how important hearing is to your overall health. Getting hearing aids can lessen these health issues (and in some cases even reverse them).
And the final persuasive fact is that hearing loss can cost the typical family $12,000 in income every single year. But that expense can actually be decreased by as much as 50% with hearing aids.
It may not be feasible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford to buy hearing aids.
For an individual in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your old hearing aids can have a huge effect on their financial stability, quality of life, and overall health. It may also help a child in school that has a hard time hearing, which could impact their ability to get into college and make a decent living when they get older.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
There are lots of volunteer organizations and manufacturers who help recycle old hearing aids. Come by and we can help you find a recycling program. Or you can just give us a call.